Sunday, August 12, 2007

Sunday in Kunming

Well, we haven't posted in a few days, so I figured I would head down to the business center and give it a try.
Saturday we went to a place called the "World expo-garden" or something of the like. It was basically a bunch of gardens from around China and some "typical" gardens from around the rest of the world. It was kinda neat for the adults, the boy... not as much. We did hire a tram car thing to drive us from site to site. That was the best idea of the day. Quincy LOVES being in a car, or on anything moving. I just hope that he likes being on an airplane. He will be on one for a LONG time soon. It is a good thing there is a small 2hr flight from Kunming to Guangzhao on tuesday. It will introduce the boy to flying, plus Richard will be there to translate if needed. Anyway, attached is a pic of a "huge bowl" we saw. If I can say one thing of the Chinese, they are literal. :)

The Expo trip was shortened because of rain. It began to rain around 11am and it was just in time, because the boy seemed to be loosing interest in flowers of the world, for some crazy reason.  So, we packed it in and headed to a restaurant we had head of that was supposed to be known for their pizza and american food. I think it was called Wei's or something of the like, Bridget would know for sure if you are interested. We ordered pizza, noodles, rice and drinks. My mom seemed happy because she finally had a diet coke with some ice. We noticed only after leaving that they had a menu item consisting of "4 local bugs". Richard said that we could go back before we leave... I am excited, my mom, not as much.
 
Sunday we went to a park where we walked around more. It seems to be a theme here. I think that our guide is just trying to keep us out of trouble. Quincy seems to do ok for about an hour, but then starts to show he is bored. We left the park and drove to a "big lake" the name escapes me for the moment. It was fine, there were folks fishing, but I really don't think I would want to eat the fish they caught. The lake wasn't exactly pristine. They had bikes to rent, but with the boy being a bit antsy, we decided to pass. We then went to find some housing that was being built. Richard wanted to show us how the other half lives in Kunming. Apparently all the real estate out by the lake is where the rich folk live, or at least buy houses.  We went into a typical condo. Apparently in China when you buy a house, it comes pretty much as bare as you can imagine. No floors, wall coverings, fixtures, bathroom stuff, nothing, literally nothing... The real estate person didn't view the condo with us, apparently it wasn't worth her time, so we just wandered around. After that we came back to the hotel and I went to get american food at the restraunt across the street from us, called the Blue Bird. This was no less than my 6th trip there since we came to Kunming. The food is decent, cheap and close. The girl at the front sees me coming and just looks at me and says "take away", I nod and she fetches a menu.
 
Ok, my time is short, the boy should be asleep by now and I have a hot game of cards waiting when I return. Hope ya'll are doing well, and sorry there are not more updates. It is hard to get away, and loading pictures on this computer takes FOREVER... I am now just killing time, waiting for the last one to load... Still loading... so, what's new? How's the weather in Seattle... How are the wife and kids... Ok, there it goes.  Night all, and pleasant dreams from Kunming!
 
The Laflins
 

2 comments:

connie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
connie said...

It's funny how I can tell within the first few sentences who is updating the blog, before it is identified in anyway. I love the updates, enjoy your "4 local bugs", and give the little guy a hug from me.

Connie