Sunday, August 5, 2007

Countdown: 25 hours until we meet Quincy!

So, we're still in Guangzhou (at least for another couple of hours).  We've already done some fun stuff.  On Saturday, we met up with a guide Jason met in his online action figure group, who took us to the Guangzhou wholesale toy district as well as several other places that sold action figures.  I think it was Jason's nirvana....  Then we walked around the area near our hotel a little and got Thai food for dinner.  It was excellent.  I think it was the restaurant everyone told us about...  I played a game with some people in the park behind the hotel.  It was kind of like hackey sack. but the thing you kicked around has feathers on it, so it's more buoyant.  Jason has it on video, but I don't know how to post that to the blog.
 
On Sunday Richard arranged for us to go to a tourist attraction in a city a couple of hours from Guangzhou.  It was a couple of different theme parks that depicted China's different regions.  Kind of like "It's a small world" but without the annoyingly repetitive song, and instead of different countries, it was different areas of China.   They had replicas of the different minority houses, costumes, etc. And some shows and exhibits. It was beautiful, but VERY HOT.  I bought an umbrella to shield me from the sun and drank like 6 bottles of water, but I still started to get sick from the heat after about 3 hours, so we didn't get through the whole park.
 
We were almost the only Westerner's at the park and lots of people stared and pointed and smiled. But overall, people were very friendly.  We tried our Chinese, and they tried out their English.  Lots of little kids would come up to us and say "hi" or "hello" and then laugh and run away...  It was pretty fun.  We also had our first "squatty potty" experience at the park, and I'm happy to say that we all survived with a minimum of trauma.  Jan commented that she was going to have to start doing deep knee bends to practice getting up.  It was definitely a cultural experience. 
 
Well, pretty soon, we'll get on a plane to Kunming and my next post will almost definitely include pictures of our new family.  We're thinking of all of you, and are so excited!!!
 
Bridget

1 comment:

Kelli said...

Ooh! I know just where you were! You were at the minority village place in shenzhen, yes? I went to Windows on the World which is basically across the street from it about 6 yrs ago...what an idea, a "china theme park". I'm sure it was so entertaining! I'm SO thrilled to see you've made it to China and cannot wait to see the Quincy Pics!! Enjoy Kunming, I was there about 3 yrs ago and it's simply amazing, the whole area is really gorgeous!!! What a wonderful place you will have to visit with Quincy again when he is older and you all take another trip back...so wonderful that you'll be able to show him the area he is from is such a beautiful and amazing place! I have goosebumps for you both!!! Good luck getting through your last day!!!!! (my mind would just be RACING!!!)