Monday, February 23, 2009

For Better or Worse...

It's official.  We have a daughter.  Forever.  Really.  It's just sort of sinking in. It's hard to believe it's true and she's ours forever. 
 
Yesterday was a rough day.  This morning hasn't been much better.  The honeymoon is definitely over, but at least it was over before we signed the adoption papers, so we can't say we weren't warned... :)
 
Yesterday started okay.  We got dressed, she let me braid her hair.  She ran around the breakfast buffet area, but it was more curiousity and excitement than anything.  Then Richard came and we all went for a walk in the park.  She continually ran away from us, not out of curiousity, but to test us.  And when we caught her and prevented her from falling in the lake, getting hit by cars, or crashing into people, she would scream bloody murder and act like we were beating on her.  I'm pretty sure all the Chinese people watching thought we were abducting her.  It didn't bother me one bit that people were staring at me restraining a tantruming 10 year, but I was a little afraid someone would call the police.  Jason was even more worried about it.  People think worse of men in those situations.  I'm glad Richard was there with us, so that people could overhear him talking to her in Chinese, and maybe get an idea of what was going on...
 
Then we went and completed the adoption.  She ran around the room and caused trouble while we were completing paperwork.  At one point, she locked herself in the little room where they take the photos...  After that, we went back to the hotel and hung out and played there for the rest of the day.  Bed time went okay, but both she and Quincy woke up about 2:30 and wouldn't go back to sleep.  I sat with them until about 4:30 and then Jason took Quincy into our room, and I stayed with Meg until she fell asleep about 5. 

This morning, she got dressed and when I tried to brush her hair, she threw another tantrum and wouldn't get off the bed.  So, I stayed with her while everyone else went down to breakfast.  She fell asleep again shortly after that, and then I went down and got some breakfast as well.

We were planning on going to the zoo today, but I don't know if it will happen.  I don't know if she's ready for another outing yet.  Jason and my mom might take Quincy and I'll stay here with her.   Or maybe she'll be feeling a bit better after some more sleep.  Who knows.
 
I have to say that Quincy has been amazing through this. It's like he's the big brother, and he's been taking good care of his sister, and helping Mama and Baba so much.  He's such an amazing guy!

Keep us in your prayers.

Love, Peace and Happiness,
Bridget

4 comments:

Kelli said...

sending you lots of "strong mama & baba" vibes....!!! thinking about you!!!

alhop2 said...

HANG IN THERE - YOU ARE THE STRONG ONE GIRL - THIS IS NOT ANYTHING THAT WIMPS CAN DO - I AM PRAYING PRAYING PRAYING THAT "FOR BETTER" WILL SHOW IT'S FACE TOMORROW!!!!

One Happy Momma said...

Saying prayers and sending you {{Hugs}}

What great parents you are!!

Cathy

Anonymous said...

You guys are amazing. I know if anyone can do this it is you. Hugs to you all. I'll be thinking and praying for you.

Much love
-Connie